About This Blog

This blog features: neighborhood restaurants, nearby restaurants, downtown restaurants, Casa View Shopping Center, nearby shopping, Downtown shops.

I will first list places and my connections with them. For the spirit of completeness, I will then list other places, known to me but not visited. I choose not to list the unknown.

I like the section entitled Places I Wish I Had Visited.

My focus is places and locations which existed from 1953, when I moved to Dallas, until 1965, when I graduated from high school. This list will continue with my college years, until I turned 21. I left Dallas in 1969 and, as I did not return except to visit my parents until 1973, my memory of East Dallas ends at that time.

Some categories were easy to separate – restaurants and shopping. Some experiences are not so easy to categorize, but are still meaningful. They may be all lumped in together, and then teased out as other connections are made.

Music wise, we may have thought we were born of the “wrong generation.” I always thought the older generation (i.e. 3 to 4 years older than me) had a richer and deeper experience.

But we, the beginning of the Baby Boomer generation, had it best – stable family life, rising expectations for the middle class and parents who wanted to give so much to their children, which most did not have in their childhood. We were left to play and roam outdoors to make our own fun. We had the best toys and the best music.

And yet we lived in tumultuous times – the Cold War, Civil Rights, Integration and the Kennedy Assassination through the killings of Robert Kennedy and Martin Luther King.

Hopefully we came out as loving, caring, sharing adults whose experiences made us better people and gave us the ability to show appreciation and gratitude for the neighborhood and experiences which enriched us and our loved ones.

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Blackie Sherrod - "Scattershooting, whatever happened to...?"

Blackie Sherrod was a long-time spots columnist for the Fort Worth Star Telegram, the Dallas Times Herald and finally the Dallas Morning News.  But he was much more than a sports writer.  He was an observer of life's imponderables.  He interspersed his columns with questions like: "Scattershooting, whatever happened to ... ?" He would list some figure outside the sports field, like exotic dancer Bubbles Cash.

I have adapted to "scattershooting" style which appears in this blog memory.
Blackie was also the master at the one-line essay.  A long running essay always started with "our neighbor Jones sez ..."

Here are a few of them:
Our Neighbor Jones wishes he knew what made the Tower of Pisa lean, so he could give his wife some.
Our neighbor Jones sez solid drinking is like spelling Mississippi.  It's mostly a matter of knowing when to stop.

Our Neighbor Jones sez his wife dresses to kill and she cooks the same way.
Our neighbor Jones sez he made a killing at the Derby.  He shot the jockey.
Our neighbor Jones sez his wife is outspoken, but he can't figure out by who.

Our neighbor Jones sez his wife doesn't open all his letters; only the ones that are sealed.
Our neighbor Jones sez he and his wife often have words, but he never gets to use his.

No comments:

Post a Comment