About This Blog

This blog features: neighborhood restaurants, nearby restaurants, downtown restaurants, Casa View Shopping Center, nearby shopping, Downtown shops.

I will first list places and my connections with them. For the spirit of completeness, I will then list other places, known to me but not visited. I choose not to list the unknown.

I like the section entitled Places I Wish I Had Visited.

My focus is places and locations which existed from 1953, when I moved to Dallas, until 1965, when I graduated from high school. This list will continue with my college years, until I turned 21. I left Dallas in 1969 and, as I did not return except to visit my parents until 1973, my memory of East Dallas ends at that time.

Some categories were easy to separate – restaurants and shopping. Some experiences are not so easy to categorize, but are still meaningful. They may be all lumped in together, and then teased out as other connections are made.

Music wise, we may have thought we were born of the “wrong generation.” I always thought the older generation (i.e. 3 to 4 years older than me) had a richer and deeper experience.

But we, the beginning of the Baby Boomer generation, had it best – stable family life, rising expectations for the middle class and parents who wanted to give so much to their children, which most did not have in their childhood. We were left to play and roam outdoors to make our own fun. We had the best toys and the best music.

And yet we lived in tumultuous times – the Cold War, Civil Rights, Integration and the Kennedy Assassination through the killings of Robert Kennedy and Martin Luther King.

Hopefully we came out as loving, caring, sharing adults whose experiences made us better people and gave us the ability to show appreciation and gratitude for the neighborhood and experiences which enriched us and our loved ones.

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Dallas Strippers - Early 1960's: The "ooh la-la's"...

I never knew anything about Candy Barr growing up.  A name I knew from the 8x10 black and white photograph in front of The Colony Club was Chris Colt and Her 45s, dressed in a cowboy outfit.

Shari Angel

Patty Pleasure - married a pilot.

Nikki Joye - full-blooded Indian.

Shane Nee - took up evangelism.

Bubbles Cash

Chastity Fox - became a singer.

Lulu Roman - became a singer on Hee Haw.

Tiffany York

Candy Barr - Dallas' premier entertainer.

Miss Tiki Time and her Time Bombs

3 comments:

  1. I personally saw Bubbles Cash (the girl that stopped the football game), Lulu Roman who did a hilarious comedy strip act. I saw the extremely talented Chastity Fox the best dancer I ever saw and saw Candy Barr sing at the Prison Rodeo after her release on a marijuana charge that today would be a class c misdemeanor. This was in the heyday of real stripper entertainment in Dallas Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stormy Weather was a another great stripper down on Greenville Avenue

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you have any game at all with regular women you can definitely pick up strippers too, you've just got to make a few small adjustments. party strippers

    ReplyDelete