About This Blog

This blog features: neighborhood restaurants, nearby restaurants, downtown restaurants, Casa View Shopping Center, nearby shopping, Downtown shops.

I will first list places and my connections with them. For the spirit of completeness, I will then list other places, known to me but not visited. I choose not to list the unknown.

I like the section entitled Places I Wish I Had Visited.

My focus is places and locations which existed from 1953, when I moved to Dallas, until 1965, when I graduated from high school. This list will continue with my college years, until I turned 21. I left Dallas in 1969 and, as I did not return except to visit my parents until 1973, my memory of East Dallas ends at that time.

Some categories were easy to separate – restaurants and shopping. Some experiences are not so easy to categorize, but are still meaningful. They may be all lumped in together, and then teased out as other connections are made.

Music wise, we may have thought we were born of the “wrong generation.” I always thought the older generation (i.e. 3 to 4 years older than me) had a richer and deeper experience.

But we, the beginning of the Baby Boomer generation, had it best – stable family life, rising expectations for the middle class and parents who wanted to give so much to their children, which most did not have in their childhood. We were left to play and roam outdoors to make our own fun. We had the best toys and the best music.

And yet we lived in tumultuous times – the Cold War, Civil Rights, Integration and the Kennedy Assassination through the killings of Robert Kennedy and Martin Luther King.

Hopefully we came out as loving, caring, sharing adults whose experiences made us better people and gave us the ability to show appreciation and gratitude for the neighborhood and experiences which enriched us and our loved ones.

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Casa View Happenings - Plus the Three Large Fires in the Center



Forest Hollow Club was opened 6/26/52 - 8500 Arturo DA-1-3602

Casa View Post Office to be dedicated July 10, 7/3/59
Postal Zone 28 will cover south and east of the Santa Fe tracks from White Rock Creek to the delivery limits near Garland.  Housed in the portal building will be Anchor Delicatessen.  Dallas East Prescription Pharmacy, Fishburn Cleaners, Abco TV, Casa View Washateria, Willis Paint Company, a flooring shop and the dentistry office of Dr. Claude Ricks,.

Dallas Air Fair 1958
Will be held July 19-20 at Dallas-Garland Airport at Northwest Highway and Garland Road 5/8/58

Jack Chaney's Lido Hotel and Cabana Hwy 67 south.  New Lido's buffet $1.95 served in our Main Dining Room overlooking our beautiful pool and patio garden 5/15/58

White Rock Kiwanis Club presents 8th annual (meaning it started in 1950) benefit show Brigadoon May 15, 16, 17.  Charles R. Meeker Jr., Producer; Thomas L. Hughes, Director' Toni Beck, Choreographer.  Admission $1.00 5/8/58

Texas Waterman School of Dance will present a revue "The Magazine Rack" Friday at 8 pm at BA Auditorium.  Names I know on the performance Terry Allbright, Anita Stone.  5/22/58

Advertisement Luby's Cafeteria Wednesday Fiesta Night.  TV and Radio personalities Trini Lopez and Jesse Paredes 6/12/58

John E. Fickling School 9825 Ferguson Road 6/26/58

There was a Fairdale prefix.  Ann Tucker's phone number was FA-3936, then DA-3932, then became DA-1-3936, and then 214-321-3936.  Ann Tucker 1/26/12

There was a black community called "Little Egypt" centered near the corner of Shoreview and Ferndale Roads until the early 1950's.  WR2/6/75

Fires in Casa View Shopping Center
M.E. Moses April 1958 WR4/24/58
Morris Store September 1963 WR9/27/63
C&S Hardware April 1965 WR4/23/65

No comments:

Post a Comment