About This Blog

This blog features: neighborhood restaurants, nearby restaurants, downtown restaurants, Casa View Shopping Center, nearby shopping, Downtown shops.

I will first list places and my connections with them. For the spirit of completeness, I will then list other places, known to me but not visited. I choose not to list the unknown.

I like the section entitled Places I Wish I Had Visited.

My focus is places and locations which existed from 1953, when I moved to Dallas, until 1965, when I graduated from high school. This list will continue with my college years, until I turned 21. I left Dallas in 1969 and, as I did not return except to visit my parents until 1973, my memory of East Dallas ends at that time.

Some categories were easy to separate – restaurants and shopping. Some experiences are not so easy to categorize, but are still meaningful. They may be all lumped in together, and then teased out as other connections are made.

Music wise, we may have thought we were born of the “wrong generation.” I always thought the older generation (i.e. 3 to 4 years older than me) had a richer and deeper experience.

But we, the beginning of the Baby Boomer generation, had it best – stable family life, rising expectations for the middle class and parents who wanted to give so much to their children, which most did not have in their childhood. We were left to play and roam outdoors to make our own fun. We had the best toys and the best music.

And yet we lived in tumultuous times – the Cold War, Civil Rights, Integration and the Kennedy Assassination through the killings of Robert Kennedy and Martin Luther King.

Hopefully we came out as loving, caring, sharing adults whose experiences made us better people and gave us the ability to show appreciation and gratitude for the neighborhood and experiences which enriched us and our loved ones.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Humor Records - From Bob Newhart to Brother Dave Gardner

ON WRR 1310 AM radio, they had a segment called “Library of Laughs.”  One comedy routine would be played in the quarter hour throughout the day.

In the evenings from 9:30 until 10PM, they played a half hour of comedy.  I wish I could have learned my academic subjects as well as I did comedy routines.

My all-time favorite Brother Dave Gardner, the master storyteller who combined jazz musician lingo with a Southern evangelical preaching style - Rejoice Dear Hearts!

Are you going to be here when the clock strikes twelve?  If you’re not John, I’m gone.

Accident
The Motorcycle.  Miss Baby was ok until they they turned her head around.

Stan Freberg - St George and the Dragnonet, Green Christmas

Jonathan Winters, as Maude Frickett

Justin Wilson - I guarantee.  Shoot them ducks with a twice barrel shotgun.

Bill Dana - My name Jose Jiminez.

The Bickersons - featuring Don Ameche and Francis Langdon.

Jackie Mason - The closest WRR got to adult humor.

Shelly Berman

Bob Newhart - The Button Down Mind of Bob Newhart

Homer and Jethro - The shades of night was falling fast but I got a pretty good look anyways.

Marti Allen and Steve Rossi - Hello dere!  Album featured a portratit by Dmitri Vail.
Stan Freburg - You Got Trouble, Green Christmas, Rock Island Line, St George and the Dragonet, John and Marsha, the Great Pretenders

Hudson and Landry - Ajax Liquor Store

Tom  Lehrer - Be Prepared, Fight Fiercely Harvard, The Wild West is Where I Want to Be, Lobachevsky

Bob Newhart - Introducing Tobacco, Driving Instructor, The Cruise of the USS Codfish


Allan Sherman - The Ballad of Harry Lewis, Sarah Jackman, The Streets of Laredo


Beyond the Fringe - British comedy group featuring Dudley Moore and Peter Cook
The Great Train Robbery
The Wayside Chapel

Never on the Library of Laughs, I still liked the gentle humor:
George Goebbel

Charlie Weaver

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Dave Gardener's David and Goliath routine his brothers brought little David some "after sippin', dippin', and flippin' snuff". Do you have any idea what that was?

    ReplyDelete